Home

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A is for AUNTY (A to Z for April)

Hi, I'm doing the A to Z for April blog challenge and I'm already into day 3, because I forgot about it and because I'm down here, down-under, and so I'm a day ahead of those who are elsewhere. I'm 3 behind instead of 2... and this is only the start. But, panic not... fortunately day 3 is a Sunday and so a day of rest.

Anyway, I'm here now and my 'A' day is for 'aunty'... my aunty, because she's 89 years old and the only woman I know who can make tripe and vinegar sound, and taste, like a gourmet dish served up by a master chef.

She also knows exactly what to do with a cow's heel and a sheep's tongue and in her house you might locate the iron in the fridge, weighting down a bowl of pressed meat. I guess she's from the generation that really had to cook. None of this mamby pamby nouvelle cuisine stuff, where a few leaves of greenery and a drizzle of chartreuse coloured liquid around the edge of the plate counts as 'dinner'.

So I've put her here because anyone who can make the lining of a cow's stomach taste good deserves a place on the internet, and she'd think that was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment